Apply for Housing with the Palm Beach County Housing Authority

These FAQs are comprised of some of the most common questions asked about housing programs administered by PBCHA.

What is the difference between Public Housing and the Housing Choice Voucher program? In Public Housing, applicants are housed in properties owned by PBCHA, whereas in HCV, participants are housed in units owned by individual landlords, private sector agencies, corporations, and non-profit organizations, including PBCHA. Both housing programs are designed to assist participants in finding safe, decent, and affordable housing.

Where are PBCHA Public Housing Properties located?


How do I know if a waiting list is open and how do I apply? PBCHA advertises the opening of waiting lists in the Palm Beach Post, this website, and posts notices at each PBCHA Property Management Office.

If a Public Housing waiting list is open, instructions on how to apply will be provided in the notice advertising the opening of the list.

If the Housing Choice Voucher waiting list is open, instructions on how to apply will be provided in the notice advertising the opening of the list.

What if I have special needs?

Please advise our Occupancy Specialist if you need assistance accessing our services, and let us know if you need special features in your housing. 

How do I know if I am eligible to be on a waiting list? PBCHA has a local preference for working families. To earn the local preference, at least one household member must be working at least twenty (20) hours. As required by HUD, families where the head and spouse, or sole members is a person age 62 or older, or is a person with disabilities, will also be given the benefit of the working preference. Families designated as homeless receive additional preference.  

How long after I apply can I expect to receive a voucher or public housing unit? The time it takes to receive a voucher or move into a public housing property depends on the amount of people on the waiting list, as well as the amount of units or vouchers available. It is impossible to predict how long a person will be on the waiting list; the process could take months up to years.

How do I update information on my application? In order to update any information on your application, you must submit changes, in writing, to the PBCHA’s Central Office. Applicants active on the waiting list must inform PBCHA of any changes to the application within 10 business days of the change. To report changes, complete the Waiting List Update Form, and submit with a legible copy of your photo ID. 

Failure to keep information updated could result in the removal of the application from the waiting list. Only the Head-of-Household can make changes to the application Please note that the PBCHA sends out requests to your current address on file. If the mail is returned to us as “undeliverable” or “unable to forward”, you may be removed from the Waiting List.

May I add or remove others from my application?

You may add or remove people from your application by submitting the change in writing to our Occupancy Specialist

How do I cancel my application?

You may cancel your application at any time by writing to 

Can PBCHA deny assistance? 

Does PBCHA verify personal information?