These FAQs are comprised of some of the most common questions asked about housing programs administered by PBCHA.

What is the difference between Public Housing and the Housing Choice Voucher program?

In Public Housing, applicants are housed in properties owned by PBCHA, whereas in HCV, participants are housed in units owned by individual landlords, private sector agencies, corporations, and non-profit organizations, including PBCHA. Both housing programs are designed to assist participants in finding safe, decent, and affordable housing.

How do I know if a waiting list is open and how do I apply?

PBCHA advertises the opening of waiting lists in the Palm Beach Post, this website, and posts notices at each PBCHA Property Management Office.

If a Public Housing waiting list is open, instructions on how to apply will be provided in the notice advertising the opening of the list.

What if I have special needs?

Please advise our Occupancy Specialist if you need assistance accessing our services, and let us know if you need special features in your housing. 

What are the income limits for the Public Housing Program?

Answer: Applicants for the Public Housing Program must income qualify according to the limits set forth each year by the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD). Click here to view the current income limits for Pinellas County by household size.

How long after I apply can I expect to receive a voucher or public housing unit?

It may take up to two (2) to seven (7) years to be pulled from the waiting list and receive assistance. This wait period depends on the amount of funding received from the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD), and public housing units becoming available. Once pulled from the list, PBCHA will contact you via mail. Make sure to submit any changes to your address, in writing. 

How do I update information on my application?

In order to update any information on your application, you must submit changes, in writing, to the PBCHA’s Central Office. Applicants active on the waiting list must inform PBCHA of any changes to the application within 10 business days of the change. To report changes, complete the Waiting List Update Form, and submit with a legible copy of your photo ID. 

Failure to keep information updated could result in the removal of the application from the waiting list. Only the Head-of-Household can make changes to the application Please note that the PBCHA sends out requests to your current address on file. If the mail is returned to us as “undeliverable” or “unable to forward”, you may be removed from the Waiting List.

May I add or remove others from my application?

You may add or remove individuals from your application by submitting the change in writing to our Occupancy Specialist.

How do I cancel my application?

You may cancel your application at any time by submitting the request in writing. 

Can I submit an application when the waiting list is closed?

PBCHA only accepts applications when the waiting list is open. 


If I am denied admission into the Housing Choice Voucher program or the Public Housing program, what can I do?

If your application for admission into PBCHA's housing programs is denied, you will receive a notice of denial from PBCHA, indicating that you may request an informal hearing to dispute the denial. As an applicant, you have the right to bring legal counsel or other representative; ask to review documentation prior to the informal reivew, and have witnesses attend to speak on your behalf. 

I applied to a waiting list with another housing authority. Are housing authorities affiliated?

Each housing authoity is independently managed, and has its own waiting lists. You will need to contact the agency to which you submitted an appliation, to inquire about the status of your application. 


I need affordable housing now. What should I do?

PBCHA does not offer emergency housing. However, you can download the Palm Beach County Housing Authority "Guide to Services" by clicking here. This guide provides valuable information regarding emergency shelters, food pantries, clothing donations, or agencies that may be able to provide one-time assistance for rent or utility bills, among other services. Additionally, you may visit to conduct a search on affordable housing.